Guwahati: Following reports of cracks developing in the iconic Saraighat Bridge in Guwahati, Assam, the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) is now mulling to undertake major repair work on the road deck portion of the bridge.
The commuters and the local people using the bridge had been raising concerns about the unsafe condition of the bridge for quite some time now.
As per an NFR official, around 80 identified deck slabs will be repaired, which will be followed by a layer of asphalt over the entire bridge.
The iconic Saraighat rail-cum-road bridge serves as a major lifeline for Assam and is located on one of the busiest routes of the region. Built over the Brahmaputra river, the bridge was commissioned in 1963.
Earlier on, reports had emerged of cracks developing in the bridge which the authorities were trying to cover up with sand bags.
- Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Wishes, greetings and significance
- Vishwakarma Puja: Ancient marvels designed by the divine architect
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19