Agartala: As part of their anti-drug drive, the police on Tuesday arrested assistant sub-inspector (ASI) for his alleged involvement in the illegal trade. An amount of Rs 10 lakh in cash was also recovered from his possession, police sources said.
The ASI has been identified as Sushil Debbarma. He was arrested from his residence where the police recovered a briefcase containing the cash.
Based on his statement, the police later arrested a woman, Madhuri Chakraborty, from Krishnanagar area in this connection. Both Debbarma and Chakraborty have been sent to police custody for a week.
This is not the first time a police official has been arrested over the illicit drug trade in Tripura in the recent past. On October 27, Bimal Debbarma, a sub-inspector of Bagma outpost, was arrested after he was found to be involved in the contraband drug trade.
On November 5, Sukumoni Debbarma, SI of Churaibari police station, was suspended after he was allegedly found to be helping truck operators, involved in drug-related trade, to cross the Churaibari check post in north district.
- Covid surge in West Bengal: 24 containment zones created
- Nagaland: Hope and apprehension as primary schools reopen slowly
- Nagaland women commission chief’s ‘Good Patriarchy’ jab sparks outrage
- BJP should apologise to people of Assam: Cong on EC warning to Sarma
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for October 27
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for October 27