Guwahati: In a bid to spread awareness about the importance of cleanliness, TIPKAI, an NGO based in Assam, kicked off ‘Run for Swachhata’, a marathon in Guwahati on Sunday. The marathon is a part of a state-wide marathon which is to be held in four other towns of Assam including – Lakhimpur on December 30, Nagaon on January 6, Tinsukia on January 20 and Bongaigaon on January 27.
This is the second edition of the state-wide marathon, with the first edition being held in other five cities including – Guwahati, Dibrugarh, Jorhat, Tezpur and Silchar in March 2017.
The marathon witnessed participation of people from all walks of life.
Speaking to EastMojo, a participant, said, “I have taken part in this marathon to do my bit as a concerned citizen of the country. I want to see my city and my country clean. But, sadly despite so many efforts by successive governments the citizens continue to litter and pollute the streets.”
- Mizoram: 40,000 kg Areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore recovered
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel
- Vaccination drive a success because of you all: Arunachal CM to healthcare workers