Aizawl: Former I-League champion Aizawl FC lifted the Mizo Premier League (MPL) title defeating defending champion Chhinga Veng FC by a margin of 5-4 in penalty shoot-out on Monday.
The nail-biting final ended in a draw after regulation time as the score board read 1-1. Aizawl FC, the I-League champion for the year 2016-17, got the lead with Alfred Jaryan’s stunner in the 39th minute of the match. Later, Jaryan was selected as the best player of the league.
Aizawl FC tried to dominate the match when they brought Ansumana Kromah into the playing XI as the first change player of the team in the final. However, Chhinga Veng’s Romawia poured cold water into aspirations of the Aizawl FC and Chhinga Veng FC equalised the score line 1-1.
After the end of the regulation time, the Aizawl FC continued to put pressure on their opponent during the extra time. But the ball failed to penetrate the opponent net as it returned back by hitting the goal posts, etc on numerous occasions.
During the penalty shoot-out, the defending champion failed to convert one of the five penalty shoots while the Aizawl FC managed all.
As a winner, the Aizawl FC managed to get prize money of Rs 6 lakh while Chhinga Veng went home with a purse of Rs 3.3 lakh.
Mizoram Police finished third in the championship while Bethlehem VT were relegated from the MPL.
- NF Railway clocks 9 pc jump in freight unloading in FY’24
- Meghalaya police seizes heroin worth Rs 2.36 lakh in SWGH
- Why social media makes you feel bad and what to do about it
- Two new bird species found in Manipur
- TMC releases manifesto for Tripura polls, promises ‘Bengal model of development’
- Arunachal: 5G service launched in Itanagar