Aizawl: Former I-League champion Aizawl FC lifted the Mizo Premier League (MPL) title defeating defending champion Chhinga Veng FC by a margin of 5-4 in penalty shoot-out on Monday.
The nail-biting final ended in a draw after regulation time as the score board read 1-1. Aizawl FC, the I-League champion for the year 2016-17, got the lead with Alfred Jaryan’s stunner in the 39th minute of the match. Later, Jaryan was selected as the best player of the league.
Aizawl FC tried to dominate the match when they brought Ansumana Kromah into the playing XI as the first change player of the team in the final. However, Chhinga Veng’s Romawia poured cold water into aspirations of the Aizawl FC and Chhinga Veng FC equalised the score line 1-1.
After the end of the regulation time, the Aizawl FC continued to put pressure on their opponent during the extra time. But the ball failed to penetrate the opponent net as it returned back by hitting the goal posts, etc on numerous occasions.
During the penalty shoot-out, the defending champion failed to convert one of the five penalty shoots while the Aizawl FC managed all.
As a winner, the Aizawl FC managed to get prize money of Rs 6 lakh while Chhinga Veng went home with a purse of Rs 3.3 lakh.
Mizoram Police finished third in the championship while Bethlehem VT were relegated from the MPL.
- Guwahati pedals for change with Mountain Bike race
- Bharat bandh fails to evoke much response in Tripura
- Meghalaya entrepreneur receives special gift from CM Sangma
- Nagaland reports 17 new COVID cases, 1 more fatality
- NSCN(IM) invited to Delhi to continue talks: Nagaland CM
- Naga leader murder: JAC calls for 48-hr strike, Manipur govt seeks more time to meet demands