Imphal: Close to a month after an Imphal-based journalist was booked under the National Security Act (NSA) for criticising Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh in a viral video, another man was reportedly detained for posting derogatory remarks against the CM on Facebook.
Lairikyengbam Dayananda, a resident of Kongba Nongthongbam Leikai, was picked up by the Imphal East police on December 15. However, he was let off after he was produced in a local court the next day, said reports.
Also, no case was registered against Dayananda by the police, the reports added.
On December 8, Dayananda, through his Facebook account ‘Leingakpa Ningthouja (Atangba)’ had allegedly written: “N Biren haidi kana, F*** haiba yadbduro…Mabu kei oirigae, (Who is N Biren, is he the one who cannot digest the F word ?)”
Earlier, on November 20, journalist Kishorechandra Wangkhem was arrested for uploading a video in which he criticised CM Singh over a function organised on the birth anniversary of Rani of Jhansi on November 19.
Less than 24 hours after he was granted bail by a CJM court in West Imphal on November 26, following his arrest on November 20, Wangkhem was arrested again on November 27, this time under the NSA.
He was recently sentenced to one year in jail under NSA for the Facebook post.
- Assam: Aaranyak holds media workshop on human-wildlife coexistence
- Nepal’s 81.19% population is Hindu despite decline in followers
- We must encourage tech transfer to deal environmental pollution: NHRC
- Content posted against Serum Institute of India ‘defamatory’: Bombay HC
- Heroin worth Rs 6 crore seized in Assam, 1 arrested
- Mizoram: Assam Rifles carries out tree plantation drive