Aizawl: Mizo National Front (MNF) leader Lalrinliana Sailo was on Tuesday elected as the speaker of the new state assembly in Mizoram. Sailo was elected unopposed as the opposition parties did not field any candidate. He was declared as the new speaker by pro-tem speaker Lalrinawma.
In a deviation from the past, supplementary questions in the Assembly would now be allowed even if the minister concerned is absent to reply to the queries, said Sailo after being elected. The minister in charge of the department can authorise another minister to reply on his behalf, he said.
Legislators should be provided with vehicles when they travel outside the state and get them picked up from the airport or the railway station on their return, Sailo suggested to CM Zoramthanga.
He made an appeal to all the members of the House to maintain decorum to ensure that the state legislature continues to be one of the best legislatures in the country.
Chief minister Zoramthanga, opposition Zoram People’s Movement (ZPM) leader Lalduhoma, Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader Zodintluanga, former Speaker Lalchamliana and Buddha Dhan Chakma, the lone BJP legislator from the state, congratulated Sailo upon his election as the new speaker.
- United Naga Council lambasts AFSPA imposition in Naga areas of Manipur
- CADC Chief Executive Member and colleagues revoke decision to join ZPM, return to MNF
- Assam relaunches crackdown on child marriage
- Assam’s Lovlina Borgohain secures Paris 2024 Olympic quota at Asian Games
- Assam reserves ACS, APS seats for Matak and Moran communities
- Architect of India’s Green Revolution, agricultural scientist MS Swaminathan passes away