Guwahati: In a first for Mizoram and the country, Mizo National Front (MNF) chief Zoramthanga will take oath as the chief minister of the state amid Christian rituals, said reports.
On the oath-taking ceremony, scheduled to be held at the Raj Bhavan on Saturday, ceremonial Biblical readings will be organised and popular hymns like ‘Hellalujah’ chorus will be sung. Newly elected MNF legislator Lalruatkima was quoted as saying by media reports: “Singing of gospel and reading of verses will be followed by the national anthem.” The legislator added that they are doing it for the first time.
The MNF stormed back to power winning 26 of the 40 seats in the assembly elections in Mizoram, a state which has a Christian population of 97%. The party ousted the Lal Thanhawla-led Congress government that had been in power ten years and has also been credited for its closeness to Church and its strong stand for a total ban on liquor in the state.
- PM CARES not government fund; works with transparency: HC told
- Bhabanipur bypoll: Man arrested for spreading communal WhatsApp texts
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 23
- Assam: 45 high schools upgraded to higher secondary
- NE has been converted into heartland from hinterland: Union minister
- Kashmiri tycoon Sahil Zaroo in jail for ‘raping’ NE girl, bail hearing today