Kalimpong: A 45-year-old man from a remote village in Kalimpong district of West Bengal was arrested for allegedly raping his minor daughter for two years and killing her after she threatened to expose him. The incident happened on the night of December 9.
After killing the 13-year-old girl, her father reportedly buried her next to his house in an attempt to cover up the crime.
According to sources, the accused had a controlling personality and would not allow his daughter to mingle with others. “If she got late for home even by a few minutes, he would beat her,” said his neighbours. “He had treated his wife in a similar manner. Unable to handle him, she had left him about two years ago,” they added.
On the night of December 9, the victim got late again, said sources. “In a fit of rage, he killed her. He then attempted to hide his crime by burying her right next to his house. The next day, however, he informed his nephew that his daughter had committed suicide and he had buried her,” said the sources.
Shocked, his nephew raised an alarm after which people from the neighbourhood gathered at his house.
During preliminary interrogation, it was found that the accused killed her after she threatened to expose his deeds.
Meanwhile, the police have recovered the body of victim and have sent it for autopsy.
The accused was presented at the Kalimpong district court which sent him to seven days in police custody. Cases have been filed against him under Sections 302 and 201 of the IPC and Section 6 of the POCSO Act.
- Amarinder Singh resigns as Punjab CM; says ‘feel humiliated’
- Book explores historical and spiritual landscape of communities in Northeast
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants