Shillong: An associate professor and the head of the department of bio-medical engineering at the North-Eastern Hill University (NEHU) in Shillong was arrested on Friday for accepting a bribe of Rs 40,000 from a PhD scholar. The accused, Dinesh Bhatia, was held under the Prevention of Corruption Act. He was caught red-handed while accepting the money from the complainant.
The money was part of the proceeds of fake bills sanctioned by the accused professor which were transferred to the bank account of the complainant. It has been alleged that after Bhatia’s instructions, the complainant withdrew the cash from his account and was in the process of handing it over to the professor when he was caught caught red-handed by the CBI sleuths.
A case has been registered based on the written complaint. Search operations were conducted at the professor’s office and residential premises.
- Arunachal: NSCN-KYA cadres arrested in Changlang district
- Assam: 19 kids leave for Ahmedabad for heart surgery
- Hope other artistes get inspired: Padma Shri awardee from Mizoram
- Assam: Kaziranga National Park to reopen for tourists on Feb 4
- The Last of Us: HBO’s version ups video game’s themes of love, family
- Baba Ramdev offers his two cents on Assam CM’s ‘motherhood age’ remark