Shillong: A special team of Meghalaya Police arrested Showmewell B Kyndait (38), a coal merchant, over the attack on women rights and RTI activist Agnes Kharshiing and her colleague Amita Sangma, from the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in Assam on Friday morning.
“The special team of Meghalaya Police picked up Kyndait from Guwahati airport following intelligence input that he was attempting to fly to New Delhi to evade police arrest in connection with the attack on the two women’s activists,” police sources said.
Kyndait, a resident of Shangpung village, was arrested by Khliehriat police after he told his interrogators that “he was one of those people” who brutally assaulted Kharshiing and her aide Amita Sangma on November 6 at Tuber Sohshrieh area in East Jaintia Hills district, the police said.
On November 21, one Skhemlang Dkhar (44) of Iongkaluh village of the East Jaintia Hills district was picked up by the police from Mooralong, Jowai. Earlier, a day after the attack on the duo, police arrested two persons Elphon Dkhar and Meklison Siangshai, from Kongong area.
A few days later, the police arrested one Hamlen Rymbai (39) of Wapungskur village. On November 18, the police arrested one Charming Siangshai of Wapungskur.
“Search is on to arrest the other accused in the case. We are hopeful of arresting them soon,” police sources added.
- Murky water: Meghalaya MLA goes all guns blazing at minister
- GoPro Hero 10 Black launched. Check specifications, price, more
- Nagaland Lottery September 17: Check Dear Hooghly Morning lottery result
- Congress celebrates PM’s birthday as #NationalUnemploymentDay, Twitterati play along
- Modi calls for SCO template to fight radicalisation, extremism
- IT dept widens probe against actor Sonu Sood; search multiple premises