Imphal: The Manipur police have arrested a journalist after a video, in which he has criticised chief minister N Biren Singh over a function organised on the birth anniversary of Rani of Jhansi on November 19, went viral on social media.
Wangkem Kisorchand, a former staffer of ISTV, was arrested by Imphal West police commandos from the Khongampat area of Sekmai in Imphal on Tuesday evening.
In the video, the journalist has questioned the contribution of Lakshmibai in the freedom movement of Manipur. He is also heard hurling abuses at the BJP and RSS.
Incidentally, Kisorchand was earlier arrested by the police and charged with defamation, among other sections of the Indian Penal code.
Meanwhile, the journalist has been reportedly relieved of his duties by the cable TV network after the video went viral.
- Making NE a strong economic zone important: Meghalaya CM
- Meghalaya home minister allays fears regarding HNLC diktat
- Delhi residents can now check real-time availability of burial, cremation sites
- More rain in store for Bengal; deluge likely in Darjeeling, Kalimpong
- Budding athletes from NE to get unique Diet scholarship
- Assam Cabinet approves measures to improve power connectivity