Imphal: The proscribed United National Liberation Front (UNLF) has claimed the responsibility for Friday’s grenade blast in which three security personnel were injured. Two hand grenades were hurled inside the premises of the Manipur Legislative Assembly. While one of them exploded, the other didn’t.
In a press communiqué released on Saturday evening, the UNLF claimed the responsibility for the incident.
Meanwhile, in protest against the incident, Manipur Assembly speaker Y Khemchand took part in a sit-in- demonstration in front of the state assembly secretariat on Saturday. Coming down heavily on such acts, the Speaker urged the people of the state to raise their voice against such heinous acts.
“Since the Manipur Sangai Festival is coming. We are desperately looking forward to successfully organise the event. With such acts, what message will the visitors get? It’s really unfortunate,” he said.
The explosion took place around 5.45 pm on Friday inside the main gate as two grenades were speculated to have been hurled from outside the western wall of Assembly complex. The assembly premises were being guarded by the Manipur Police along with personnel from the 54th battalion of the BSF.
The injured policemen have been identified as Maibam Manoranjan, Yambem Johny and R P Mishra, who hails from Madhya Pradesh. They were immediately rushed to RIMS for treatment and are said to be out of danger.
- Mizoram: 40,000 kg Areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore recovered
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel
- Vaccination drive a success because of you all: Arunachal CM to healthcare workers