Aizawl: Barely a few days ahead of the Assembly elections in Mizoram, the Election Commission (EC) has announced that Ashish Kundra, a 1996-batch IAS officer, will replace SB Shashank as the new chief electoral officer (CEO) of Mizoram. Shashank was removed from the post on Thursday.
Kundra was posted as the commissioner (general administration department), higher and technical education, in Mizoram. He was appointed after the EC asked the state government to forward names to find an alternative to Shashank.
The move followed widespread protests in the state over Shashank’s ouster from the post over his role in the removal of the state’s principal secretary accusing him of interfering in the electoral roll revision process.
Thousands of people came out to protest in front of Shashank’s office in Aizawl on November 6 and 7 demanding his immediate removal from the post. He was forced to leave the state after which the EC sent two high-level teams to take stock of the situation.
- Arunachal: Army rescues six locals hit by lightening in Dibang Valley
- Sikkim registers 60 new COVID-19 cases, 1 fatality
- Assam reports 4 new Covid deaths, 407 fresh cases
- Mizoram: Three held with heroin worth Rs 10.15 lakh
- Report: Suspected Chinese hack targets Indian media, govt
- Will work towards balanced relations with India and China: Nepal FM