Kohima: The Longding battalion of the Army apprehended two NSCN(IM) members in Arunachal Pradesh in the wee hours of Tuesday.
The arrested persons have been identified as Akham Wangsu and Banchoi Wangpon.
Extortion notes along some other incriminating documents were recovered from the duo. On questioning, they admitted to being an active part of the banned outfit involving themselves in extortion activities in the Longding district on behalf of Jante Josham, a self-styled ‘major’ of NSCN(IM).
Akham Wangsu further admitted to having joined the group in 2006 and having undergone basic training at the Hebron camp in Nagaland. He was previously apprehended in 2017 in Longding and has been on bail since July this year.
“Longding battalion under the aegis of Dao Division has been carrying out operations in south Arunachal Pradesh to keep the area peaceful and out of clutches of insurgents and this apprehension will go a long way in creating fear among the anti -national elements in the area,” a press release issued by the Army said.
- Rs 50,000 ex-gratia to kin of those who lost lives to COVID: Centre to SC
- Border issue: Khasi Hills council chief unhappy over exclusion
- Researchers have figured why COVID cases continue to rise in Mizoram
- RN Ravi formally relieved as interlocutor for Naga peace talks
- Manipur CM Biren Singh shows off football skills in friendly match
- Saree: Netizens wreak havoc on Delhi restaurant for denying woman entry