Kohima: In a clear violation of human rights, Nigerian national Nweze Raymond Chinenyeube has been languishing in the Dimapur sub-jail of Nagaland for more than a year now.
Despite completing his jail term and the Supreme Court directing the Union ministry of home affairs (MHA) and the ministry of external affairs (MEA) to secure his release on September 20, Nweze is yet to achieve freedom as the central government has not issued his deportation orders so far.
Nweze and his friend were detained at the New Field Check Post in Dimapur on September 7, 2016 while travelling to Imphal from Guwahati. Nzewe’s friend was reportedly relieved of all charges after he produced his passport and visa.
However, Nweze could not produce his original passport as he was carrying a photocopy of the document. He was then prosecuted by the chief judicial magistrate of Dimapur and was sentenced to eight months and 17 days in jail under Section 14 of the Foreigners Act, 1946. His passport was reportedly stolen.
His term at the jail was over on March 25 last year. The local court then ordered his release from jail. However, Nweze did not get any respite.
Dimapur-based human rights activist S Solomon Shaikh first approached the MHA and MEA seeking Nweze’s release. He then approached the SC on September 6 this year.
The apex court directed Shaikh to move his petition to Gauhati High Court. On September 20, the bench headed by then Chief Justice Dipak Mishra ordered the ministry of home affairs (MHA) and the ministry of external affairs (MEA) to act within four weeks.
As per reports, Nzewe has sent a petition to the MEA seeking his deportation to his native country. In his petition, Nweze said, “On completion of my term, the CJM informed that my sentence term is over and said my case had been dismissed and I shall be deported to my native land, Nigeria. I was awaiting the news of my deportation but nothing has happened. Since May 25, 2017, I have been illegally detained in jail and it is almost 16 months now.”
Following the SC order, the central government reportedly dispatched the order on September 20. But even after more than a month, the Nagaland home department is yet to receive the order.