Ukhrul: The centenary celebration of the World War I Tangkhul Naga Labour Corps (WWITNLCA) got underway at Ukhrul district on Tuesday.
The two-day-long celebration is being held under the theme ‘dignity and honour’. The chairman of WWITNLCA, Victor W Kaping, has urged every Tangkhul Naga to contribute in commemorating their forefathers’ lives and contributions.
Elaborating about the programme, Kaping further said that the association was formed in 2016 with the descendants of Hao-Tangkhuls who were a part of the British Labour Corps during World War I.
“It was done so as to remember and honour those forefathers who had sacrificed their precious lives and rendered their selfless service in the said war,” he added.
A Heritage Memorial Park has also been constructed in memory of the 1,200 labour corps from the Hao-Tangkhul community.
On the other hand, secretary of WWITNLCA, Zanyo Varam, also appealed to all Tangkhuls to extend their support in making the centenary celebration a success.
The official calendar release programme of the WWITNLCA on Monday was attended by the representatives of Tangkhul Naga Wungnao Long (Tangkhul Headman Association) and Tangkhul Shanao Long (Tangkhul Women’s League), among others.
- Is brushing your teeth for two minutes enough? Here’s what the evidence says
- Khel Ratna: Neeraj Chopra, Ravi Dahiya, Lovlina Borgohain among 11 recommended
- 4 key issues to watch as world leaders prepare for Glasgow climate summit
- NATO’s Afghan mission hit by ‘mission creep’?
- 7 Bengal institutes in Centre’s knowledge exchange programme
- COVID-19 virus test results may vary based on time of day: Study