Itanagar: About 100 personnel of Arunachal Scouts, a regiment of the Indian Army, on Saturday ransacked the police station and the nearby Public Works Department (PWD) office in Bomdila area of West Kameng district after two of its men were detained for misbehaving with the public at the Buddha Mahotsav grounds in an inebriated condition.
The Army personnel also attacked the policemen, including Ashok Tayeng, the officer-in-charge (OC) of the Bomdila police station, before snatching away their arms and ammunition. They also threatened the OC of dire consequences.
While speaking to the media, Bomdila SP Raja Banthia said that according to information received around 9 pm on Friday night, some Arunachal Scouts personnel were found misbehaving with the public at the celebration ground of Buddha Mahotsav in a drunken state. A police team led by Tayeng then reached the spot and brought the two drunk jawans to the Bomdila police station. The two personnel allegedly manhandled the OC and misbehaved with a woman police officer.
When the senior officials of the Arunachal Scouts were informed about the incident, one of them came to the police station and took away the two accused with him. Later, around 100 jawans barged into the police station and ransacked the place. They were later dispersed with the help of Central Reserve Police Force personnel.
Five FIRs have been lodged regarding the incident and investigations are on. The All Arunachal Pradesh Students’ Union (AAPSU) has strongly condemned the attack and has demanded the intervention of the state government and the Centre to set up an inquiry committee and award stringent punishment to those involved in the act.
- IT dept widens probe against actor Sonu Sood; search multiple premises
- Meghalaya yet to decide on oil palm cultivation: Forest minister
- Shenzhou-12 astronauts back on Earth after China’s longest space mission
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 17
- Need to increase mineral exploration in eastern states, says Centre
- Meghalaya Lottery September 17: Check Future Drought Morning lottery result