Agartala: The police seized a truck loaded with 500 kg of dry cannabis worth over Rs 25 lakh in the international market from the Churaibari check-post in North Tripura on Friday night.
However, the two occupants of the vehicle, including its driver, managed to flee from the spot.
Acting on a tip-off, the police intercepted the truck bearing the registration number, WB59A-5341, at the Churaibari check-post on Friday night. As the truck came to a halt, the driver and his helper ran away leaving behind 500 kg of ganja worth over Rs 25 lakhi in the international market, said police sources.
Churaibari has become a drug-smuggling hub with huge amounts of contraband being transported through the region on a regular basis. Some of the vehicles manage to pass through the check-post allegedly due to the transporters’ ‘links’ with the higher-ups in the state, said sources.
- First theatrical release in 8 months gives life to Assam’s puppetry culture
- Prince Charles warns of narrow window to face climate change
- PM Modi meets Indian COVID vaccine manufacturers; CEOs say his leadership key force in vaccination drive
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray, mother test positive for COVID-19
- China attempting to reduce India’s influence in Mynmar, SEA: CDS General Rawat
- Arunachal searching for unsung heroes of India’s freedom struggle