Guwahati: In its manifesto released on Friday, Opposition party Mizo National Front (MNF) has promised that it will initiate a National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Mizoram, on the lines of the one being carried out in neighbouring Assam, if it is voted to power after the assembly election on November 28.
The pledge by MNF, who is a member of the BJP-led North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA), comes after some organisations in state demanded an exercise similar to NRC in Assam to detect illegal immigrants.
In its manifesto, the MNF also said it would start a village-level register for the “purpose of determining genuine citizens and detecting illegal immigrants”.
- Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Wishes, greetings and significance
- Vishwakarma Puja: Ancient marvels designed by the divine architect
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19