Kohima: Perhaps for the first time in history, buildings and land belonging to a government department will go under hammer in Nagaland to pay outstanding dues of a contractor owed by the department.
A district court in Nagaland has ordered the state Public Works Department (PWD) to sell the entire office complex and land belonging to the Executive Engineer, PWD (Road & Bridge) of Zunheboto and Dimapur to pay an outstanding amount of Rs 3,97,98,000 to a contractor.
Following the court directive, the buildings and the offices of the Executive Engineer, PWD (Road & Bridge) of Zunheboto and Dimapur were sealed on Wednesday evening. The District Sessions judge came down heavily on the PWD and ordered the attachment of “the land and office buildings of Executive Engineer, PWD (R&B) for proclamation of sale of the same in order to pay the contractor- Aien Meren Enterprises out of the sale proceeds.”
The court attached the land of the PWD office as the “sale of the property of Executive Engineer, PWD (R&B) Zunheboto would not satisfy the entire amount, i.e. Rs. 3, 97, 98,000/- with interest @7% and cost of the suit.”
Taking action on the court order, executive engineer of the PWD (R&B) Dimapur, Talitemsu Jamir has already sealed the office building. Executive engineer of PWD, Dimapur has also confirmed the action to the chief engineer via a letter clarifying the sealing action.
Owner of Aien Meren Enterprise filed the case against the Nagaland government in 2017 claiming the outstanding dues.
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants
- Utd Democratic Alliance: Opposition-less govt a reality in Nagaland
- I-T dept: Sonu Sood, associates evaded Rs 20 crore tax, violated FCRA