Agartala: A teacher was arrested for allegedly molesting a minor girl at the Sabroom area of Tripura’s south district on Saturday.
Although the accused, Biplab Das, who happens to be the husband of a local BJP leader, was arrested on Saturday itself, he was charged under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012, only on Monday after the Tripura Commission for Women and the local MLA intervened into the matter.
On Saturday evening, the teacher allegedly entered the minor’s house and tried to molest her. However, when the neighbours heard the minor screaming for help, they rushed into the house and caught the teacher. They later handed him over to the police.
The OC, Kamal Kar Chowdhury, filed an FIR case against the teacher under IPC but did not immediately invoke the POCSO Act for the crime. As per sources, when the family members reached the station with a written complaint, the OC allegedly refused to file a case under POCSO Act and misbehaved with them.
The family members then reached the local MLA Shankar Ray’s house and later also sought the help of Tripura women commissioner Barnali Goswami.
Under pressure, the police were then forced to lodge an FIR under the POCSO Act.
- Vishwakarma Puja 2021: Wishes, greetings and significance
- Vishwakarma Puja: Ancient marvels designed by the divine architect
- Assam: Biswanath girl, in shorts, made to wrap curtain to sit for exam
- Not an inch should be given to Assam: Meghalaya Opposition
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19