Aizawl: Two pastors are among those featured in the first list of 13 candidates released by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for the upcoming state assembly elections in Christian-dominated Mizoram to be held on November 28. The list of 13 candidates, released on Saturday, also includes its state president Prof JV Hluna, a doctor and a retired IPS officer, among others.
Hluna is pitted in Tawi constituency against MNF candidate and former home minister R Lalzirliana, who resigned from the Congress recently, and Congress candidate Rosiamngheta. Well-known missionary pastor Rev LR Colney will contest with a BJP ticket from Aizawl West-II constituency against MNF’s Lalruatkima and Congress’ Lalmalsawma Nghaka.
The other BJP candidate with theological background is Rev H Lalruata, who is a former minister. He will contest from Lunglei East. While Dr Aichhunga will contest from Lunglei South, retired IPS officer Vanupa Zathang will contest from Lawngtlai East.
The lone woman in the first list of BJP candidates, C Malsawmi, will contest from Aizawl East-II against minister Lalsawta of Congress and MNF’s star campaigner Robert Romawia Royte. The party will announce candidates for the remaining 27 seats in the coming days, said BJP sources.
- Indian students urge UK PM to act over English test scandal
- What can we expect from the final UN climate report?
- BJP is just a tenant, not owner of democracy: Cong
- WB govt plotting handing over of state-run edu institutions to pvt sector: JUTA
- Education ministry preparing guidelines for students’ mental, emotional wellbeing: Pradhan
- US condemns attack on Indian consulate in San Francisco