Imphal: The northeastern states, considered as a sporting powerhouse in India, will soon have its own Olympic games in Manipur. A first of its kind, the 1st Northeast Olympic Games will be held in Imphal from October 24 to 28.
In a press briefing, MOA president Thokchom Radhashyam said that the association is also mulling to stream the games live, another first for the region.
To start with, the games will feature 12 disciplines. These include athletics, archery, badminton, boxing, football, judo, karate-do, shooting, table tennis, taekwondo, weightlifting and wushu.
Earlier, Radhashyam told media persons that national as well as international players from all eight northeastern states will participate in the games.
The NE Olympic Games have been recognised by the Indian Olympic Association and will be held at the Khuman Lampak Sports Complex, Eastern Ground and DM College Indoor Stadium.
- Northeast Church leaders extend solidarity to Karnataka Christians
- Assam by-polls: Thowra heading for a BJP win, Raijor Dal might finish second
- Covid surge in West Bengal: 24 containment zones created
- Nagaland: Hope and apprehension as primary schools reopen slowly
- Nagaland women commission chief’s ‘Good Patriarchy’ jab sparks outrage
- BJP should apologise to people of Assam: Cong on EC warning to Sarma