Darjeeling: Darjeeling teen Joseph Chettri created history by becoming the first from the region to win the Airtel Delhi half Marathon in the ‘open 10k run’ category on Sunday.
Chettri, a first-year student of St Joseph’s College, finished with a timing of 34.26 minutes.
Chettri is associated with the ‘Run with Roshni Foundation’ that works to raise awareness about the Gorkha identity issue. It was founded by Roshni Rai, who herself faced racial discrimination when she was in Mumbai. The foundation supports runners from economically backward classes in Darjeeling to run national and international marathons.
Speaking to EastMojo, Rai said, “I am sharing this with tears of happiness in my eyes. Bravo Joseph Chettri. You not only made team Run with Roshni proud but all the Gorkhas are proud of you.”
Rai is hopeful that Gorkhas can win Olympic events as well.
Meanwhile, in the international elite men’s and women’s categories, Ethiopian ace marathon runners, Andamlak Belihu and Tsehay Gemechu, clinched the respective titles.
- Meghalaya 2023: DEO strives for 90% turnout in upcoming polls
- Arunachal: Uplifting rural economy govt’s top priority, says CM Khandu
- Hindenburg rejects Adani charge, says fraud cannot be obfuscated by nationalism
- Arunachal Wushu team crowned champions in Nat’l Women’s League
- Tripura 2023: Impasse over Left-Cong seat negotiation remains
- Archer Bishal Changmai confident of podium finish at Khelo India Games