New Delhi/ Guwahati: Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya, is all set to host the world’s only autumn cherry blossom festival from November 14 to 17 when pink and white cherry blossoms will be in full bloom along the roadside and the famous Ward’s Lake.
The third edition of the India International Cherry Blossom Festival 2018 will be celebrated with several events comprising fashion shows, rock concerts, amateur golf tournament and a beauty pageant.
During a press meet held at the Press Club of India in New Delhi to announce the event, Prof Dinabandhu Sahoo, director of the Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development (IBSD), invited the people of India and the international community to visit Shillong during the festival.
Prof Sahoo also iterated on the fact that the festival generates massive employment and revenues for various cities and countries as lakhs of visitors from different parts of the globe visit Japan, New Zealand, and parts of South Korea to witness cherry blossoms.
Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma also lauded the initiative of IBSD and said that the festival was a good way to deepen and strengthen connections with the government of Japan through exposure of Japanese cultural events and cuisine, as the Embassy of Japan in India has come in as a strategic partner this year.
- Oppn parties seek Parliament debate, JPC on Adani stock rout
- Is terrorism returning to Pakistan?
- Developing countries need lots of money to fight climate change: Nigeria
- UK defends BBC independence, says investing ‘heavily’ in relationship with India
- Nagaland 2023: HC quashes village resolution on consensus candidate
- Arunachal: Late MLA Tashi’s wife files nomination for Lumla bypoll