Guwahati/ New Delhi: The search and survey operation by the income-tax department at the Delhi residence of businessman Raghav Bahl, as well as the offices of news websites The Quint and The News Minute, and technology company Quintype have been widely condemned by journalists, some of them terming it ‘intimidation’ and others calling it ‘an attack on the freedom of press’.
The conduct of the officials, especially in visiting the newsrooms of publications that have been critical of the government, prompted statements of concern from Bahl, as well as a number of others, including the Editors Guild of India, Amnesty and the Committee for Protection of Journalists.
Read the full statement issued by Bahl here.
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art