Guwahati: A 38-year-old woman was stripped, tortured and her head shaven by a mob of 30-35 people, mostly women, in the Boterhat area of Dhubri district in Assam. A video of the incident that has now surfaced on social media has created quite a stir in the state.
In the video, a mob of 30-35 people can be seen torturing the woman while she is crying for help. The incident happened on October 2, said the police.
As per reports, the woman was attacked after she filed a case of child marriage against the family of her former husband. This was after they got her minor son married. The family allegedly failed to get bail in the case.
Naabjit Rai, in-charge of the Sagalia outpost under Golakganj police station, who has been looking into the matter, said, “The incident took place on October 2, while the victim had gone to the the village market. She was first attacked in the open before being dragged to a nearby village. It has learnt that the victim was under pressure to take her case back.”
Meanwhile, the woman’s present husband, Moinal Haque, filed a case in the Golakganj police station on October 3. The police has so far arrested three people in this connection. They have been identified as Hasiran Bewa (60), Torishan Bibi (30) and Khotaja Bibi (43).
- Meghalaya 2023: DEO strives for 90% turnout in upcoming polls
- Arunachal: Uplifting rural economy govt’s top priority, says CM Khandu
- Hindenburg rejects Adani charge, says fraud cannot be obfuscated by nationalism
- Arunachal Wushu team crowned champions in Nat’l Women’s League
- Tripura 2023: Impasse over Left-Cong seat negotiation remains
- Archer Bishal Changmai confident of podium finish at Khelo India Games