Agartala: With the state assembly polls in Mizoram knocking at the door, the Mizoram State Election Commission (SEC) is preparing a voters’ list for Reang (Bru) refugees staying in two sub-divisions in Tripura. As per sources, the final round of voter list correction and ‘name inclusion’ had started at Naisinghpara refugee camp from Wednesday and will continue till Friday.
With the P Lalthanhawla-led Congress government completing its term in November this year, Mizoram SEC is gearing up to ensure that Reang refugees staying in Kanchanpur and Panisagar sub-divisions for the last 19 years can exercise their democratic rights in the ensuing assembly polls.
As part of the poll process, SB Shashank, CEO of Mizoram SEC, visited the Naisinghpara refugee camp in June and directed his officials to take steps in enrolling the names of Reang people.
According to available information, more than 18,000 Reang people are staying in Tripura. These Reang refugees are likely to play a crucial role in Mizoram polls. Five years ago, before the Assembly polls, P Lalthanhawla had promised to ensure repatriation of Reang refugees to Mizoram. However, during the last five years, the Mizoram government has not taken any proper initiatives to address the demands raised by Reang refugees, sources said. “Whatever packages were announced for the refugees willing to repatriate, were made by the Central government,” they added.
- Mizoram: 40,000 kg Areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore recovered
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel
- Vaccination drive a success because of you all: Arunachal CM to healthcare workers