Agartala: The Tripura police on Wednesday recovered three pistols , six magazines and 25 rounds of live bullets from a guesthouse in Dharmanagar in North Tripura district. One person, identified as Pranjit Das, has been arrested in this connection.
Acting on a tip-off, North Tripura SP Bhanu Pada Chakraborty ordered the Dharmanagar police station to conduct a search operation at the guesthouse located in the Office Tila area of Dharmanagar town. SDPO Jyotishman Das, along with OC Benu Madhab Dey, then raided the guesthouse and arrested Pranjit Das with the cache of ammunition.
Pranjit, who is a resident of Kamalsgar area, had travelled from Silchar in Assam by train to Dharmanagar with the weapons, the police said.
The SP said, “One of the weapons was made in the US. It is evident from their manufacturing techniques. These are sophisticated arms.”
The arrest comes on a day of vote counting to the panchayat by-elections that were held on September 30 for the 3,207 gram panchayat seats, 161 panchayat samiti seats and 18 seats of zilla parishad seats in the state.
However, no incidence of violence has been reported till the filing of this report.
- Indian students urge UK PM to act over English test scandal
- What can we expect from the final UN climate report?
- BJP is just a tenant, not owner of democracy: Cong
- WB govt plotting handing over of state-run edu institutions to pvt sector: JUTA
- Education ministry preparing guidelines for students’ mental, emotional wellbeing: Pradhan
- US condemns attack on Indian consulate in San Francisco