Agartala: A man was arrested after he attempted to kill his mother with a sharp weapon in Udaipur under Gomati district in Tripura on Saturday. The accused, Debashish Dey, is reportedly a drug addict. The woman, Malina Rani Dey (65), is fighting for her life at GB Hospital in Agartala.
SDPO Himadri Das said, “During interrogation, Debashish admitted to his crime”.
As per reports, Debashish attacked his mother with a sharp weapon (locally called dau). However, their neighbours rushed in after hearing her screams and overpowered the man. Bleeding profusely, Malini Rani was rushed to the district hospital, and later shifted to GB Hospital in Agartala.
Incidentally, the accused allegedly tried to kill his mother the previous night too, by setting her ablaze. “On Friday night, Debashish tried to kill his mother by setting her aflame but was saved by their neighbours. We had then suggested calling the police, Malina Rani stopped us from doing that,” said a neighbour. “Pity, Debashish failed to honour her motherly love,” she added.
While local people are demanding exemplary punitive action against Debashish, people are also seeking stern actions against the local drug syndicate. “Drug addiction is destroying our youths. An all-out drive against this menace must be initiated,” said a local resident.
- IT dept widens probe against actor Sonu Sood; search multiple premises
- Meghalaya yet to decide on oil palm cultivation: Forest minister
- Shenzhou-12 astronauts back on Earth after China’s longest space mission
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 17
- Need to increase mineral exploration in eastern states, says Centre
- Meghalaya Lottery September 17: Check Future Drought Morning lottery result