Imphal: Three protesting girl students of Manipur University were hospitalised after their health condition deteriorated on Wednesday. They are among the 100-odd girl students who have been on fast-unto-death demanding immediate and unconditional release of the arrested teachers and students of the university.
With this, the total number of agitating students who have been admitted to hospital for treatment has risen to six.
On the other hand, several student organisations have called for a 48-hour Manipur bandh starting from the midnight of September 26. The student bodies behind the call for strike are All Manipur Students’ Union (AMSU), Manipuri Students’ Federation (MSF), Democratic Students’ Alliance of Manipur (DESAM), Students’ Union Kangleipak (SUK), Apunba Ireipak-ki Maheiroi Singpang Lup (AIMS) and Kangleipak Students’ Association (KSA).
The ongoing strike by the students come after 89 students and six teachers were detained in midnight raids conducted by security personnel on the university campus in the intervening night of Thursday and Friday last week.
- Minor earthquake jolts Arunchal Pradesh
- Charanjit Singh Channi to be next CM of Punjab
- Biden pitching partnership after tough stretch with allies
- Young Indians are highly vulnerable to cardiac ailments: Here’s why
- Witnesses say explosion targets Taliban, 2nd in as many days
- Assam: This social entrepreneur duo is building communities with tea and art