Mumbai: Renowned filmmaker Kalpana Lajmi breathed her last at the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Mumbai on Sunday morning. Lajmi was suffering from chronic kidney disease and liver failure. She was well-known for directing, producing and screenwriting several popular movies like Rudaali, Daman and Darmiyaan.
Chingaari was her last movie as a director and was based on a novel, The Prostitute and the Postman, by late Bhupen Hazarika. EastMojo videojournalist Mukut Medhi recalled his golden days working with Lajmi during the shoot of the movie, Daman, in Tezpur, Assam.
Medhi said, “It was in 2001 when I first met her in Tezpur. That time I was working for an Assamese news channel and visited the town to cover a news report on Lajmi, her movie and Bhupen Hazarika.”
He also mentioned that whenever she visited the late Hazarika’s home in Assam, he always found a way to visit her again and again. Such was the aura of the talented filmmaker, he added.
Medhi recalls the days when Lajmi and Hazarika invited him for lunch several times and he became a part of their lives. He said with teary eyes, “I still can’t believe Kalpana ji is no more. It feels as if I just met her yesterday.”
- SC verdict has struck down word ‘Sikkimese’ as well: CAP
- Odisha minister Naba Das dies of bullet injuries: Hospital officials
- Tripura polls: BJP names Papia Datta for Agartala Assembly seat
- Arunachal: NSCN-KYA cadres arrested in Changlang district
- Assam: 19 kids leave for Ahmedabad for heart surgery
- Hope other artistes get inspired: Padma Shri awardee from Mizoram