In Nagaon district, six get electrocuted after they get down to a village pond, where an 11,000-volt live wire was hanging loose, apparently due to negligence of power dept staffer
Guwahati: Seven people lost their lives in two separate incidents of electrocution in Nagaon and Bongaigaon districts of Assam on Friday.
In the first incident, six people lost their lives within minutes and two others got seriously injured when they went for fishing in a village pond in Khatowal village of Rupohi area of Nagaon district. An 11,000-volt live wire that was hanging loose over the pond for the past few days electrocuted the six locals when they got down in search of fish. The incident took place around 7.30 am.
According to the villagers, they were aware of the live wire in the pond and so they first went to the local power department employee’s house to inform him about the situation. Although the electrician had cut off the power line for an hour, he reconnected it unaware of the fact that some people were still catching fish in the water.
“I was offering namaz in the masjid. While coming back to my house, I heard the screams of people. Realising that some people got electrocuted, I ran to the electricity employee’s house to inform him. He immediately cut off the electricity connection,” said Hamid Ali, a villager.
The victims were later brought to the Nagaon Civil Hospital, where six of them were declared brought dead.
The deceased have been identified as Rafukul Islam (30), Anish Ali (35), Moinul Islam (45), Habibur Rahman(35), Inamul Islam (20)and Ashikul Islam (12).
The enraged public later went to the house of Fakhrul Islam, the local electricity employee, and damaged his car by hitting it with sticks.
Meanwhile, Assam minister Keshab Mahanta along with former CM Prafulla Kumar Mahanta visited the site of incident and Nagaon civil hospital and took stock of the situation. The Assam government has ordered the Assam Power Distribution Company Ltd (APDCL) to conduct an enquiry into the incident.
The minister has declared a compensation of Rs. 2.5 lakh for each of the families of the deceased and free medical treatment to the injured persons.
In yet another incident, an 18-year-old youth died after allegedly getting electrocuted while sleeping with his mobile phone on charge. The deceased has been identified as Pushpeshwar Rai of Vidyanagar area in Basugaon of Bongaigaon district.
(With inputs from Baharul Islam, Nagaon)