Imphal: A police official sustained injuries when irate locals stormed the Patsoi police station in Imphal on Friday demanding immediate release of six persons, who were arrested on charges of lynching a suspected vehicle thief on Thursday morning.
The six accused were involved in the alleged lynching of a suspected two-wheeler thief at Haoroijam Awang Leikai in Imphal West in the wee hours Thursday. However, two of his accomplices managed to flee the spot. The victim has been identified as Farooque alias Furkan Ahmed.
Demanding immediate release of the arrested persons, villagers of Thaoroijam, Makalang, Salami, Patsoi, Luker, Sanjenbam, Karong, Patsoi Part IV and Awang Khunou hekd took part in a public meeting on Friday morning. Following the meeting, the villagers decided to march towards the police station to press for their demands.
The situation at the police station turned violent when the agitating crowd allegedly pelted stones at the cops. In return, the police resorted to using tear gas shells and smoke bombs to control the situation. Three persons, including some students, fell unconscious. The OC of Patsoi police station also sustained injuries in the incident.
Meanwhile, the Joint Action Committee against the Arrest of Innocent People of Thaoroijarn has appealed people not to give any communal colour to the issue.
Expressing disappointment over the mob lynching incident, JAC convenor PhamdomTomchou also condemned the arrest of innocent individuals and demanded their immediate release. He also demanded immediate arrest of the two absconding thieves.
- Meghalaya Lottery September 21: Check Future Torrent Morning lottery result
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 21
- NASA: Look out for this Corn, Barley, Fruit, Potato Harvest Moon
- Mizo nationalism our driving force: CM Zoramthanga
- 5 affordable smartwatches with Spo2 sensors ideal for COVID-19 times
- Raj Kundra walks out of Mumbai jail after bail in pornographic films case