Guwahati: Not too many people from outside the state will know that Assam also produces a ‘magic’ variety of rice, a ‘soft’ rice that doesn’t require any cooking at all. That the indigenous variety of rice, called ‘Boka saul’ (mud rice) locally, got a geographical indication (GI) tag recently is just another feather in its cap.
Going ahead, Boka saul will soon make its debut in US markets. The development comes after a Los Angeles-based non-resident Indian (NRI) businessman showed interest in promoting the indigenous rice, also called Komal Chaul (Oryza sativa). As per reports, the businessman, Nitin Patel, got in touch with Nalbari-based Lotus Progressive Centre (LPC), a local NGO involved in the promotion and preservation of the native variety of rice across 45 villages in and around Nalbari district.
The fun fact about Boka saul is that it does not need to be cooked and can be prepared only by soaking it in water in room temperature for about an hour
Now the question that might arise is: what is so magical about the magic rice? For one, the rice needs no resources or fuel or any cooking at all and can be prepared only by soaking it in water in room temperature for about an hour.
Apart from its user-friendly way of cooking, it is known for its nutritive values and its cooling effect when consumed in summer. This variety of rice is mostly used as part of the traditional cuisine with curd, jaggery, milk, sugar or other items.
Boka saul is mostly cultivated in lower Assam districts of Nalbari, Barpeta, Goalpara, Baksa, Kamrup, Dhubri, Kokrajhar and Darrang, among others.
- Meghalaya 2023: Busiest day in Garo Hills on day 4 of nominations
- No proposal to use remote voting machine in “upcoming election” in country: Rijiju in LS
- Tripura 2023: LF-Cong alliance has no mission or vision, says Bengal LoP
- ‘Immigrant’ Row: Sikkim CM’s effigies burnt, SDF calls for shutdown
- Fee payment delay: Gauhati HC sets aside notice declaring students ‘non-collegiate’
- Tripura Polls: Union Minister Pratima Bhoumik holds campaign in Dhanpur