Siliguri: Normal lives have been affected in several parts of Jalpaiguri and Siliguri districts of West Bengal due to torrential rains since Sunday morning.
On Sunday, one person, identified as Narayan Mondol from Salbari area, was killed when the boundary wall of a multi-storied building collapsed on his hut.
Several places like Matigra, Salbari, Mothibari, Bagdogra, Pati Colony and Adarshnagar are inundated due to the heavy rainfall. Flood-like situations have also emerged in some of the places in the Dooars region, mainly Alipurduar district. Nagarkata area has been the worst hit.
It is reported that rivers like Mahananda of Siliguri and Torsa in Jalpaiguri are flowing above the danger mark.
Meanwhile, the MLA and mayor of Siliguri Municipal Corporation, Ashok Bhattacharya, visited the flood-hit areas on Sunday to take stock of the situation. The local government authority has also sounded an alert in several areas.
Elaborating on the flood situation, Darjeeling district magistrate Joyeshree Dasgupta said, “Patherghatta area under Matigara block near Siliguri is worst hit while the situation in other areas is under control.”
- Taliban issue no-shave order to barbers in Afghan province
- India records 18,795 new COVID-19 cases, 179 more deaths
- Former Pak captain Inzamam-ul-Haq undergoes emergency angioplasty
- Afghanistan, Myanmar will not address UN General Assembly: UN official
- Mizoram consumer affairs minister tests positive for COVID-19
- Protests over landfill site in West Jaintia Hills prompts govt action