Aizawl: The anti-narcotic squad of Mizoram state excise and narcotics department, in collaboration with Assam Rifles troopers, seized 762 grams of heroin on Thursday and arrested a peddler on the outskirts of Ngharchhip village in Hnahthial district, an official said.
Also read, EastMojo special report: Dry state Mizoram reports one alcohol & drug-related police case every 3 hours. Why?
The accused has been identified as Boih Nun Chung (26), a resident of Leisen village in Myanmar, he said.
He was booked under relevant sections of The Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985, the official said.
The contraband worth over Rs 22 lakh was smuggled from Myanmar, he added.
Meanwhile, state taxation minister Lalchamliana told the assembly on Thursday that the state government was making massive efforts to curb transportation of illegal goods, like areca nuts, from Myanmar.
He said that the state government charged GST (tax) from the smuggled areca nuts.
The minister added that smuggling of areca nuts from Myanmar has become a great concern in the state.
Also read: Mizoram: Heroin seized from two women
Though there are several checkpoints along the Champhai-Aizawl road, the truckers transporting illegal goods take diversion roads to escape seizure on several occasions, he said.
Substantial quantities of smuggled areca nuts worth lakh of rupees are seized almost every day by security personnel in Mizoram.
- 108 South Koreans on pilgrimage of Buddhist sites in India, Nepal
- Soon, train passengers can order food via WhatsApp
- Italy-based Indian man held for impersonating Vice President
- 3 killed in collision between ambulance, truck in Siliguri
- CBI nabs 2 NF Railway engineers in bribery case
- Meghalaya 2023: 11 candidates from 3 EGH constituencies file nominations