Beijing: A third Chinese city has locked down its residents because of a COVID-19 outbreak, raising the number confined to their homes in China to about 20 million people.
It wasn’t clear how long the lockdown of Anyang city, home to 5.5 million, would last as a notice said it was being done to facilitate mass testing but did not indicate if it would end when the testing is completed.
Another 13 million people are locked down in the city of Xi’an and 1.1 million in Yuzhou.
- WHO counts 18 million virus cases last week as omicron slows
- Pfizer chief Albert Bourla wins $1 million Genesis Prize
- US, allies pledge unity on Russia; to do what isn’t as clear
- Al-Qaida’s links with Pak-based terror groups strengthening: India at UN
- Three of Tonga’s smaller islands badly damaged by tsunami
- No new COVID restrictions yet: Himanta