Jamshedpur: Four people were arrested by the Jharkhand Police from West Bengal’s Purulia district for allegedly kidnapping an Ayurveda practitioner, a senior officer said on Sunday.
Tumpu Besra, a resident of Dumaria block in East Singhbhum district of Jharkhand, was also rescued in the operation from a house in Mukundapur in Joypur police station area in Purulia, he said.
Besra was brought to Purulia on Friday by the accused who wanted ayurvedic treatment for a sick villager, police said.
Later, his family received a call from the accused demanding Rs 9 lakh as ransom, they said.
Acting on a tip-off, the house in Purulia was raided and Besra was rescued, Senior Superintendent of Police of East Singhbhum Prabhat Kumar said.
The main accused Chittaranjan Mahato was arrested along with three others, he said.
The gang had in August kidnapped two persons of Baripada in Odisha, and extorted Rs 7.5 lakh from their family, police said.
There are several criminal cases, including those of theft, against Mahato in Purulia, and Jamshedpur in Jharkhand, they said.
Also read | Why is 13 unlucky? Explaining the power of its bad reputation
- Education might not save you from cognitive decline: study
- Mizoram celebrates Palm Sunday
- Bhutanese King to visit India from April 3-5
- Home Minister Amit Shah shown black flag by Congressmen in Mizoram
- PM Modi condoles Salim Durani’s demise, says he made key contribution in world of cricket
- Small tea growers made India self-reliant in production : Tea Board