New Delhi: Tobacco products manufactured, imported, or packaged on or after December 1, 2022 will display a new image with the textual health warning “Tobacco causes painful death”, the Union Health Ministry has said.
The image will be valid for a period of one year following its commencement from December.
Also, tobacco products manufactured, imported, or packaged on or after 1st December, 2023 will display an image with textual health warning tobacco users die younger, according to the new health warnings notified by the ministry.
The ministry has notified the new health warnings through an amendment in the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Rules, 2008 dated 21st July, 2022.
The amended rules under the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Third Amendment Rules, 2022, will be applicable from December 1, 2022.
The ministry in a statement said any person engaged directly or indirectly in the manufacture, production, supply, import, or distribution of cigarettes or any tobacco products will ensure that all tobacco product packages have the specified health warnings exactly as prescribed.
Violation of the guidelines is a punishable offence with imprisonment or fine as prescribed in Section 20 of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003, the government said.
Also Read | Bronze idol of Chola queen traced to Washington museum
- Legislation in US Congress to make Diwali a federal holiday
- ChatGPT can’t think: consciousness is something entirely different to today’s AI
- Modi-Biden talks to revolve around peace, prosperity: US Envoy
- Did early humans stop in Arabia for 30,000 years on way out of Africa?
- UK to focus on enhancing science and innovation ties with India
- Headache after exercise: why they happen and how to prevent them