Gangtok: Two Army jawans of the First Battalion Sikkim Scouts of the Indian Army died in a road accident in Dzuluk, East Sikkim on Thursday night.
The two jawans were Lance Naik Manoj Chettri from Yangang in South Sikkim and Naik Subedar Som Bahadur Subba from Mirik, West Bengal.
The two officers were commuting to bring back the labourers working in the vicinity of the 52 turning in Dzuluk. It is suspected that the accident occurred due to dense fog in the high-altitude region in East Sikkim. According to information received, the vehicle fell some 300 feet.
The bodies of the two deceased have been recovered and were brought back to the Army base on Friday. The two we’ll be cremated with full Army honours on Saturday.
Sikkim Chief Minister offered his condolences to the families of the deceased. “Deeply saddened by the demise of NB/Sub Som Bahadur Subba r/o Pokhrebong, Mirik, LNK Manoj Chettri r/o Karongthang, Yangang in an accident last evening at Zuluk. They were both jawans of Sikkim Scouts and were on duty when the tragic incident befell. I offer my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family and friends and pray for the departed souls to rest in eternal peace,” he said on Facebook.
- Singapore museum says stolen linga from Nepal ‘bought legally’
- Is fake meat healthy? And what’s actually in it?
- India’s first portal on arrested narco offenders gets operational
- How a US-based agency is helping Indian police check child sex abuse, porn
- India has never been defensive about stand on buying Russian oil: EAM
- Meghalaya introduces boiled eggs as part of nutrition programme