Lucknow: Protests broke out at several places in Uttar Pradesh after the Friday prayers over now-suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma‘s controversial remark on Prophet Mohammad recently.
A senior official at the Uttar Pradesh Police headquarters in Lucknow said sloganeering took place in Saharanpur, Moradabad, Rampur and Lucknow. People raised slogans and pelted stones in the Atala area of Prayagraj after the Friday prayers ended.
A heavy police force was deployed in the area to ensure law and order. Senior police and administrative officials have also reached the spot.
Additional Director General (Law and Order) Prashant Kumar said, “The reports of stone-pelting in Prayagraj are being looked into.” He said Friday prayers were held peacefully in most places across the state.
This comes following clashes last week in Kanpur over the remarks on the Prophet at a TV debate some days earlier. A high alert was issued across the state after that, and a heavy police force was deployed to ensure that violence does not occur again.
Also read: How newly discovered fast radio burst from space challenges astronomers
- Nepal PM Prachanda wins vote of confidence
- India indispensable for peace and stability in Indo-Pacific: Japanese PM
- Yearn to face camera again: 94-yr-old award winning Assamese actress
- Tripura BJP launches special drive to ‘cleanse party of traitors’
- Heavy rains to pelt Assam, Meghalaya over next two days
- Assam to discuss security for 4 Amritpal Singh associates lodged in Dibrugarh jail