Panaji: An eight-year-old boy, who arrived in Goa from the United Kingdom, has been found infected with Omicron, making it the first case of the new coronavirus variant in the coastal state.
State Health Minister Vishwajit Rane told PTI on Monday that the boy, who travelled from the UK on December 17, 2021, was confirmed to be infected with Omicron, as per his test report received from the National Institute of Virology in Pune.
Rane said the state government will take steps according to the central government’s protocol and also adopt stringent measures as required.
Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant has already asked the tourism stakeholders to stay alert and ensure there is no spread of COVID-19 during festivities, in the wake of the upcoming New Year celebrations.
On Sunday, Goa reported 25 new cases of coronavirus, taking the state’s infection count to 1,80,050, while the death toll remained constant at 3,519, as per official data.
India logs highest single day rise of Omicron cases, tally climbs to 578
- India to host Miss World pageant for the first time in 27 years
- What is organic food and how to identify organic products?
- India’s Samudrayaan project on track: Rijiju
- Heatwave conditions likely to continue for 3 more days in Bengal
- Nagaland: 16-yr-old Tenloi Phom secures silver in National school games
- Arunachal athletes battling for life after deadly accident