Panaji: An eight-year-old boy, who arrived in Goa from the United Kingdom, has been found infected with Omicron, making it the first case of the new coronavirus variant in the coastal state.
State Health Minister Vishwajit Rane told PTI on Monday that the boy, who travelled from the UK on December 17, 2021, was confirmed to be infected with Omicron, as per his test report received from the National Institute of Virology in Pune.
Rane said the state government will take steps according to the central government’s protocol and also adopt stringent measures as required.
Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant has already asked the tourism stakeholders to stay alert and ensure there is no spread of COVID-19 during festivities, in the wake of the upcoming New Year celebrations.
On Sunday, Goa reported 25 new cases of coronavirus, taking the state’s infection count to 1,80,050, while the death toll remained constant at 3,519, as per official data.
- Day will come when Pak will be able to engage with India diplomatically: Zardari
- Crisis-hit Lanka planning to study oil exploration in Mannar Basin
- How Tinsukia Municipal Board chairman settled a family dispute
- Nagaland Lottery May 25: Check Dear Mercury Wednesday lottery result
- Tea association flags concern over floods in Barak Valley
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for May 25