New Delhi: The Centre has not taken any decision yet to prepare a nationwide National Register of Citizens (NRC), the Lok Sabha was informed on Tuesday.
Union Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai also said The Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019 (CAA) was notified on December 12, 2019, and had come into force on January 10, 2020, and the people covered under the CAA may apply for citizenship after the rules are notified.
Till now, the government has not taken any decision to prepare National Register of Indian Citizens (NRIC) at the national level, the Union minister said in a written reply to a question.
Rai said as far as Assam is concerned, on the directions of the Supreme Court, the hard copies of the supplementary list of inclusions and online family-wise list of exclusions in the NRC have been published on August 31, 2019.
- International aid reaches Tonga with clean water, supplies
- Omicron in community transmission stage, dominant in metros: INSACOG
- UAE bans private drones after deadly attack on Abu Dhabi
- True honour to Netaji would be to follow his ideology of inclusivity & secularism: family
- BJP eyeing 2/3rd majority in Manipur; Open to post-poll alliance: CM
- India’s economy has bright spots, a number of very dark stains: Raghuram Rajan