President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Gallantry Awards and Distinguished Service Decorations during the Defence Investiture Ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on Monday.
Gallantry awards are given upon conspicuous acts of bravery or valour or self-sacrifice in the presence of the enemy. There are six categories of gallantry awards – Param Vir Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra, Vir Chakra, Ashok Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Shaurya Chakra.
Vir Chakra was accorded to Indian Air Force pilot Group Captain Abhinandan Varthaman for shooting down a Pakistani F-16 fighter aircraft during aerial combat on February 27, 2019. Varthaman was recently promoted to the rank of Group Captain. Abhinandan shot down a Pakistani F-16 fighter aircraft during aerial combat on February 27, a day after the Balakot airstrike
Sapper Prakash Jadhav from Corps of Engineers accorded the second-highest peacetime gallantry award Kirti Chakra (posthumously) for neutralising terrorists in an operation in J&K. His wife and his mother received the award from the President.
President Kovind also accorded the Shaurya Chakra to Major Vibhuti Shankar Dhoundiyal (posthumously) for his role in an operation where five terrorists were eliminated and 200 kg explosive material was recovered. His wife Lt Nitika Kaul and mother received the award.
Also read: Abhinandan Varthaman conferred Vir Chakra
- Promise Day 2023: Messages and wishes to send your loved ones
- Assam: Guwahati’s air quality slips into ‘poor’ category
- Surrogate mother may not be genetically related to child born: Centre to SC
- World’s first environmental clean-up happened 400 million years ago
- JAC seeks clarity on ‘Sikkimese’ definition after SC’s revised order
- 10 Indians stuck in remote areas of quake-hit Turkey, but safe: MEA