Chennai: The charred body of a project staff of the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, was found on the premises last night, police and the management said on Friday.
The deceased was identified as Unni Krishnan from Ernakulam, Kerala.
According to sources, the charred body was recovered from a hockey stadium at the premier technical institute by the police on Thursday night after some hockey players alerted them.
“From the scene of crime it appears to be a case of suicide. The police have registered a case of suspicious death,” a senior official told.
The IIT management said the police is investigating the incident and that the institute was fully cooperating with the authorities.
“An unfortunate and tragic incident occurred yesterday at IIT Madras Campus, involving a temporary project staff. The project staff whose body was found had joined the Institute in April 2021 and was living outside the campus,” it said in a statement.
“We are shocked and deeply grieved, and convey our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the departed soul,” it added.
- Assam: Forces posted at Indo-Bhutan border sensitised on wildlife crime
- Pol party seeks removal of ‘non-indigenous’ Gaon Bura in Dimapur
- Merge TIPRA with Congress, lead the party: Tripura MLA to Pradyot Debbarman
- Assam: Major earthquake jolts Guwahati
- Nagaland: NCC girls’ band representing NE for R-Day 2024 begins practice
- Mizoram: Guv inaugurates Raj Bhavan’s first-ever Gandhi Jayanti exhibition