New Delhi: The owner of south Delhi’s ‘Baba ka Dhaba’, Kanta Prasad, allegedly attempted suicide and has been admitted to the Safdarjung Hospital, the police said on Friday.
Prasad, 81, attempted suicide on Thursday. The reason behind his extreme step is not yet known, they said.
“On Thursday at 11.15 pm, information was received from the Safdarjung Hospital that Prasad was admitted there. Police reached the hospital and collected MLC (medico-legal case) which mentions the intake of alcohol and sleeping pills as the cause of unconsciousness,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (south) Atul Kumar Thakur said.
The statement of Prasad’s son Karan was recorded. He said his father consumed alcohol with sleeping pills, the police said, adding that further inquiry is underway.
Prasad shot into the limelight last year when a video of him tearfully talking about the lack of customers at his eatery and his financial woes went viral, triggering an outpouring of support in cash and kind from all over the country. The video was shot and uploaded by YouTuber Gaurav Wasan.
Later, the octogenarian filed a complaint against Wasan for alleged misappropriation of funds raised through donations.
Prasad went on to open a restaurant. However, he faced losses and had to shut it.
Recently, Prasad returned to his ‘dhaba’ and apologised to Wasan. The YouTuber visited Prasad and accepted his apology.
- Rlys achieves 1,000 MT milestone for FY 2022-23
- Bogtui massacre: CBI arrests slain TMC leader’s stepbrother
- Bodhi Day 2022: Date, History and Significance
- SC directs Centre, RBI to produce demonetisation records
- Arunachal: Four more govt officials held in APPSCCE-2017 paper leak case
- Centre ‘forcefully’ pushing through bills in Parliament: Mamata Banerjee