Malda: Three civic volunteers have been killed and six others seriously injured after a police vehicle carrying them overturned in West Bengal’s Malda district, police said on Friday.
The accident took place in Kaliachak police station area late on Thursday night when a police team was returning in three vehicles after nabbing a wanted criminal, a police officer said.
One of the vehicles, carrying the civic volunteers, overturned after the driver lost control over it and hit a guard rail, he said.
The deceased have been identified as Pankaj Mondal (30), Obaidur Sheikh (35) and Ibnaul Sheikh (30), all attached to the Kaliachak police station.
One of the injured civic volunteers has been referred to a hospital in Kolkata, while the others are undergoing treatment at a private medical facility in Malda, he said.
Expressing grief over the incident, Superintendent of Police Alok Rajoria said that a compensation amount would be handed over to the next of kin of the deceased.
- Biden says Putin will pay ‘dear price’ if he invades Ukraine
- 3 killed, 20 injured in blast at Lahore’s Anarkali market
- Arunachal boy abducted by China’s PLA from Indian territory: Sources
- Man booked for duping 10 men by promising BCCI jobs
- 2nd ODI vs SA: Rahul’s India aims at improved batting show with series on line
- Toyota Hilux launches in India: Bookings start at just Rs 50,000