Kolkata: Four days after she was injured and hospitalised during an election campaign in Nandigram, TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee, on Sunday, attended her first public event, as she led a roadshow in Kolkata on a wheelchair.
Accompanied by senior TMC leaders, Banerjee was seen greeting the crowd with folded hands, with security personnel pushing her wheelchair.
Banerjee joined the five km roadshow from Mayo Road to Hazra More, as part of the observation of Nandigram Diwas to commemorate the killing of 14 villagers in police firing during the anti-land acquisition protest in 2007.
“We will continue to fight boldly! I’m still in a lot of pain, but I feel the pain of my people even more. In this fight to protect our revered land, we have suffered a lot and will suffer more but we will NEVER bow down to COWARDICE!”, Banerjee tweeted minutes before arriving at the venue.
Banerjee was injured on March 10 following which she was admitted to SSKM hospital in Kolkata. She was discharged on March 12.
Carrying posters and placards hailing Banerjee as the “daughter of Bengal”, TMC supporters raised slogans against the BJP and called for “defeating the outsiders” in the assembly elections.
- Arunachal Congress slams China over treatment of Wushu players
- Mizoram: Former ZPM members speak out, allege deception
- I’ve just been diagnosed with cancer, now what?
- Centre to provide in-kind aid to Manipur IDPs in Mizoram
- Man survives bear attack in Mizoram
- Refusal of visa to Arunachal athletes against Olympic charter: Anurag Thakur