A seven-year-old girl became the latest victim of a leopard attack in Uttarakhand. She was mauled outside her home in Tehri Garhwal district late Sunday night, officials said on Monday.
This is the fifth case of a child being killed by a leopard in Uttarakhand in the past one month.
DS Meena, divisional forest officer (DFO) of Narendra Nagar forest division in the district said, “The incident occurred around 9:30 pm on Sunday night when the 7-year-old was attacked by a leopard outside her house. The girl was going to use the washroom outside the house when the animal dragged her away. Her body was later recovered from a nearby forest area on Sunday night itself and sent for post-mortem examination on Monday afternoon.”
Post the dreadful incident, villagers protested demanding that the leopard be declared as a man-eater and eliminated. They have been cautioned against letting their children come out of houses without being accompanied by elders.
The DFO further said that the forest department has installed a cage and camera traps to track the leopard’s movements and catch it.
- Mizoram poll watchdog seeks action over model code violation
- Mizoram: Fourth consecutive day with under 1,000 fresh Covid-19 cases
- Arunachal: Bike thief, five others arrested from Seppa
- Aizawl-Shillong among six air routes flagged off in NE
- Tripura TMC members gherao police station over attack on youth leader
- Fabindia’s ‘Jashn-e-Riwaaz’ sparks controversy, Netizens allege ‘Abrahamisation’ of Diwali